Best 8 Inch Subwoofers of 2018: Complete Guide
Car Subwoofers can either make or break a car audio system. Choosing the right woofers for your car is, therefore, an absolute must if you’re someone who enjoys bumping up audio on your daily commutes. Car Subwoofers are speakers that are designed to reproduce the lower frequencies (bass), and their sizes can range anywhere between 8 to 15 inches.
The larger the woofers, the deeper the bass – this is the general rule that is followed while choosing woofers. However, subwoofers in the range of 8-10 inches are considered then best for cars as they harmonize perfectly with most car audio systems and let you hit the 20Hz basement frequencies. If you’re planning on upgrading your car audio system and breathe new life into it, installing a good subwoofer is probably the best thing you can do.
So to help you out with choosing the right woofer for your car, we have listed a few of the best 8 inch subwoofer in the market and reviewed them thoroughly.
Best 8 Inch Subwoofers of 2017
1. Skar Audio VVX-8v3 D4 800 W Max Power Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer
Coming first on our list of the best 8-inch subwoofer is the Skar Audio VVX-8v3 D4 800W subwoofer. Skar is a brand that is well known when it comes to anything related to car audio, especially subwoofers. This should be your first choice if you’re looking to get yourself a subwoofer that gives your thumping bass without burning a hole in your pocket.
The Skar Audio VVX-8v3 D4 800W Subwoofer is a masterpiece when it comes to reproducing low-end frequencies with perfection. This 8-inch woofer has a dual 4 Ohm Voice Coil Configuration with a peak power output of 800 Watts. That is some serious amount of output for an 8-inch woofer, and it can thus take quite a lot of power due to the high-temperature 2-inch copper voice coil. The frequency response on this woofer ranges between 55-500 Hz, which will surely rattle up your car even at mid volume.
This subwoofer by Skar also features a new custom tooled basket, a competition grade paper cone and a cooling system that is fairly advanced. It also comes with a massive triple stack ferrite motor and a back plate with a clean chrome finish. Overall, a decent and compact subwoofer that packs quite a punch for its price.
- Can produce great low-end frequencies and shoots out bass that feels premium.
- The design is pretty compact and features a foam surround that is pretty strong.
- It utilizes a pretty powerful motor which might drain the battery.
2. Kicker 40CWD84 8” CompD Car Subwoofer – Each (Black)
The 40CWD84 8” Subwoofer is the latest in the legendary Kicker Comp line that was started in 1986 and has since been consistent in delivering powerful bass. These woofers are sure to get your car shaking without draining your wallet, and you should consider adding these to your car’s sound system.
The Kicker 40CWD84 8” CompD Car Subwoofer is a beast when it comes to producing booming bass that creates a mini earthquake inside your car. These 8 inch woofer might seem compact but let the size not fool you, the dual 4-Ohm voice coils on these woofers each thump out a whopping 100 Watts. The peak power handling on these woofers is 400 Watts which is sure to rattle up every neighborhood you pass by. These subwoofers feature an injection-molded propylene cone and ribbed foam surround which make these suitable for free-air use.
The best part of these woofers is the impressive frequency response which can go as low as 30 Hz all the way up to 500 Hz. The lows on these woofers are tight and crisp and are especially great if you’re a rap/RnB fan. With a sensitivity of 85.6 dB, these woofers are undoubtedly a great addition to your car audio system.
- The low-end frequencies sound amazing on these woofers
- Is suitable for free air use thanks to the intelligent design.
3. CT Sounds Meso 8 Inch Car Subwoofer 800w RMS Dual 4 Ohm
CT Sounds is a brand that is known for rolling out diversified products very customarily when it comes car audio. Their woofers are widely famous for being efficient with power while spitting out booming bass that is crisp and clear. This subwoofer by the brand is yet another legendary product launched by them and is sure to shake up your car with the tight lows it produces.
The Meso 8 Inch D4 subwoofer is the latest in the Meso series by CT Sounds and just its predecessors, and this one lives up to our expectations and hence ranks 3rd in our list of the best 8 inch subwoofers. The woofer consumes an enormous 800 Watts (RMS) while incorporating only a 2.5 inch (diameter) voice coil in the core. The balance between power and perfection is amazing on these woofers, and these are sure to hit the lowest bass notes of any genre of music that you prefer.,
The Meso 8Inch D4 Subwoofer features a dual 4 Ohm resistive voice coil with a maximum power capacity of 1600 Watts. It also features a Y35 Graded Triple Stacked Ferrite Magnet which is considered to be one of the best magnets for subwoofers. The sturdy and robust arm styled basket frame is well capable of handling audio frequencies even at the highest rated inputs from the amplifier without any damage to the product.
- Has an enormous peak power capacity of 1600 Watts.
- Handles the low frequencies with brilliance.
- Is a bit prone to getting heated up.
4. Rockford Fosgate P3SD2-8 8″ Dual 2-Ohm Punch Series Shallow Mount Car Subwoofer
A list of the best car subwoofers can never miss out on one or two products by Rockford which is undoubtedly one of the most popular brands when it comes to car audio. The quality and build of Fosgate P3SD2-8 Dual 2 Ohm Subwoofer by Rockford is one of the best in the market. So if you’re planning on getting a compact woofer that delivers deep bass without burning a hole in your pocket, then this is the one to go for.
The Fosgate P3SD2 8 inch shallow mount woofers will deliver a massive punch of bass even in situations with limited depth. The concept that goes behind the design of these woofers is to allow vehicles that cannot accommodate deep subwoofers to enjoy a similar experience with these shallow mount woofers. While in the past shallow mounts meant no bass, things are different now, and even these types of woofers spit out some tight bass through the dual voice coil configurations. So if your vehicle lacks a dedicated space for traditional woofers, this is the product for you.
On the technical side, these woofers are blessed with an anodized aluminum cone featuring M-Roll Santoprene Surround. The power range on these woofers is 50-150 Watts (75 Watts per voice coil) which isn’t too high but is indeed enough to rattle up any vehicle. With a peak power handling of 300 Watts and a frequency response between 38-250 Hz, these woofers provide one of the best value for money.
- These shallow mount speakers are perfect for vehicles that are spatially challenged.
- The low-end frequencies are reproduced beautifully on these woofers.
- The bass is quite on the subtle side, and you might be disappointed if you’re a basshead.
5. Rockford P3SD48 P3 Punch Shallow mount 8-Inch DVC 4-Ohm Subwoofer
Rockford makes it back to the list of the best 8 inch subwoofer yet another time with its slightly upgraded Shallow Mount woofer, the P3SD48 P3 Punch. With this woofer, you get the best of both worlds, a powerful bass packed into a compact, shallow mount for all those spatially challenged vehicles.
This woofer is perfect if you happen to have a car that is either too small to fit a traditional subwoofer or lacks a dedicated space for installing it. Shallow mounts are compact and offer a commendable boom which can hit the low frequencies of any genre of songs you throw at it. The most premium feature that you get with the P3SD48 P3 Woofer is the M-Roll Santropene Surround which produces a hitting, theatre-like effect. Unlike a lot of other woofers in a similar range, the bass on these woofers is quite deep with a nice crispy effect. The low-frequency coverage is absolutely stunning and easily outperforms a lot of the bigger woofers.
The woofer also comes with a StampCast Basket and is completed with a beautifully integrated venting. The Cone and the bust cap are both made of anodized aluminum.
- Delivers great sounding tight bass at a very affordable price.
- The compact design is advantageous for all cars and is also easier to install.
- Some users have claimed the woofer has weird corners and may require subspace adjustment.
6. Kicker CompR 8” 2-Ohm Subwoofer
Ranking 6th on our list of the best 8 inch subwoofer is this premium model by Kicker. Built from the ground up keeping performance in mind, this is sure to blow you away with the sheer power of this legendary woofer in the CompR line. This one is for all those who enjoy booming bass without any distortions.
The primary focus of these woofers is to deliver you with powerful bass that rattles everything around you. This is a big hit among audiophiles thanks to a large peak power handling of 600 Watts with a standard power consumption of 300 Watts (150 Watts per Voice Coil). The dual 2 Ohm voice coils featured in these woofers provide ample power to reproduce the lower frequencies with perfection. The woofers also feature an injection-molded propylene cone and a rubber surround which amplifies the crisp in the bass. The frequency response on these woofers ranges from 30-500 Hz which is very impressive.
As is the case with all CompR series woofer by Kicker, this one also offers the deepest musical bass and gets even better when combined with KICKER KX-Series Mono Amplifiers. The structure of the motor is yet another defining feature of these woofers, using a large-diameter, progressive-roll spider which increases linearity and produces fantastic sound.
- Produces one of the most powerful basses among woofers in a similar price range.
- The design prevents any damage to the woofer even at the highest volumes while hitting the lowest notes.
7. Skar Audio ZVX-8 D2 8” 900W RMS Dual 2 SPL Car Subwoofer
Skar makes it back to the list yet again with this insanely powerful woofer which is known for spitting out 900W of raw power. This woofer was engineered to get loud and shake up everything around it. This should be a top pick for audiophiles that are crazy about bass.
The ZVX-8 D2 8” 900W Subwoofer by Skar is an SPL Grade 8-inch car subwoofer featuring a dual 4 Ohm Voice Coil configuration. The 2.5 inch high-temperature voice coil combined with a 156 OZ triple stack ferrite motor makes sure these woofers cause a mini earthquake inside your car soon as you turn up the volume. The power handling on these woofers is a whopping 900 Watts RMS which is one of the highest that we have seen in our list of the best 8 inch subwoofer. The paper cone featured in these woofers is a competition grade one, and when combined with the high roll foam stitched surround, this woofer produces one of the best sounding bass we have heard from an 8 incher.
With an impressive sensitivity value of 85.2 dB, this woofer is surely a great addition if you’re looking to pimp your ride with a great sounding audio system. Moreover, the ultra-low distortion design combined with the heavy duty speaker push terminals allow you to max out the volume without damaging the woofers.
- Power handling of 900 Watts RMS is undoubtedly one of the highest in this price range
- Sounds a lot better that it costs and can compare to a lot of the competition grade woofers.
- The bass maybe a bit overpowering for some people.
8. Sound Storm LOPRO8 600 Watt Low Profile Amplified 8 Inch Car Subwoofer with Remote Subwoofer Control
Coming in at the 8th position of the best 8 inch subwoofers is the Sound Storm LOPRO8 600 Watt Subwoofer. This one is unlike any other products on the list and is a unique product on its own. This woofer does not require an amplifier and still manages to push the max power up to a whopping 600 Watts.
The LOPRO8 by Sound Storm is just the woofer you need if you’re planning to upgrade your car’s audio system without pushing your budget too much. It is quite compact and can fit into most places with dimensions of 2.875”x13.5”x9.75”. That is great news if you happen to have a small vehicle. The woofer also features a MOSFET PWM Power Supply which has two different options (Low and High) regarding input levels. Keeping safety in mind, Sound Storm has provided the woofer with thermal, short and overload protection which are accompanied by Power and Protection LEDs and a remote subwoofer control.
The woofer comes along with an impressive lineup of features including a Variable Input Gain Control, Variable Subsonic Filter, Variable Bass Boost and a Variable Low pass filter. The frequency range of these woofers ranges from 20 Hz-150 kHz which will ensure you hear the deepest bass tones in all your music.
- Compact design and powerful bass combined into one product.
- Have ample safety options to keep your woofer safe from damage.
If you’re looking to get yourself a subwoofer for your car, then you need to keep a few key aspects in mind while doing so. There are a wide variety of woofers available in the market that serve different tastes and requirements, and it is essential to understand the features of this woofer before you make a purchase. SO to help you with choosing the right subwoofer for your car’s audio system, we have included a small guide that will discuss the various aspect of subwoofers in order to help you find what exactly you’re looking for.
- Size of the subwoofer – This is a critical element that you should look out for a while purchasing a subwoofer. Car subwoofers come in a wide range of sizes that can be anything between 8 inches all the way to 15 inches. The size of the woofer you purchase should always depend on how loud you want the bass to be and how much your car space is. The larger the woofer, the louder the base but the sweet spot lies within the range of 8-12 inches for car audio systems.
- Power – If you want a woofer that is very boomy and produces loud bass that rattles up anything your car passes by, then you should look for a woofer with plenty of power. Take a look at the RMS Power Rating and the Peak Power rating of the woofers as they are a suitable indicator of how powerful the bass can be. It is also important to match the woofer’s power handling to the amplifier’s power output.
- Frequency Range – The frequency range of a subwoofer gives an idea of how well the woofer can play the low frequencies. The smaller the value of the lower end of the frequency range, the better the woofer will be at reproducing bass. However, it is essential to keep in mind that the actual performance of a sub is also dependent on other factors such as the enclosure and the box type it has been mounted in.
- Sensitivity – The sensitivity value of a woofer is just as important as the Power rating when it comes to knowing how powerful a woofer is. A higher sensitivity means the woofer can produce the same amount of sound with a lower requirement of power when compared to a woofer with a lower sensitivity.
- Number of Voice Coils – Dual Voice Coil subwoofers are the most popular choice when it comes to car subwoofers as is allows for greater flexibility while working sound systems. Typical subwoofers feature just one voice coil while the dual voice coil variant has two separate loops, each with their own connections that are mounted on a cylinder.
- Enclosure Type – The enclosure on which a subwoofer is mounted on can impact the performance of a subwoofer to a large extent. Sealed boxes give the deepest bass while the ported and bandpass enclosures provide more volume.
So hopefully we have been able to help you out with choosing a great subwoofer for your car. All the best 8 inch subwoofers reviewed in the article are great choices if you’re looking to upgrade your car’s audio system and get yourself a booming woofer that shakes up every neighborhood you ride onto.