Best Car Speakers of 2017 [December]: The Most Comprehensive Buyer’s Guide
When it comes to buying the best car speakers, it’s crucial that you do not overlook some of its most important aspects. These devices are important because they give your music a clear path to make it to your ears. A new speaker system effectively puts life back into your music, giving you plenty of hours of entertainment while you commute.
We understand the value of your playlist, which is why we have gone to great lengths to pick out some of the best speakers available right now. No matter if you are planning to upgrade from an old and worn out speaker or want to install these fresh, incredible sound quality is guaranteed in every model.
So go ahead and take a look as we bring you the 5 highest rated car speakers in every category. We promise that you won’t to regret buying any of them.
5 best 6.5 car speakers for your money
1. Infinity Kappa 62.11I 150W 6.5 Inch 2-Way Kappa Series
Reasonably priced – easy to install – fantastic sound quality, these are the three objectives we’d use to describe this model by Infinity Kappa. With an excellent array of car audio products, the company has once again proved why they are one of the industry leaders in producing best speakers for car.
- Made using carbon injected glass fiber cone material that promises to outlast your expectations
- It has 450 W of peak power handling per 225 W for each pair, and RMS of 150 W for 75 W for each pair
- Beautiful design thanks to the 1-inch soft dome fabric Tweeter construction
- Plus One Cone feature makes for more cone area than other models in the same class
Why do we like it?
The Infinity Kappa 62.11I 150W 6.5 Inch speaker looks stylish with beautiful chrome inserts and no visible mounting screws. It provides an excellent upgrade over factory installed speakers thanks to its two 2-ohm nominal impedance and overall better quality.
You can use this speaker model to give your car’s audio system the kick it deserves or replace an old speaker system at a very affordable rate. Don’t buy just yet; take a look at its features and then decide.
2. JL Audio C2-650 6.5 Inch 2-Way Component Speaker
JL Audio is a renowned name in the car audio industry and has successfully manufactured some of the most popular car speakers. This one too is no different as it features everything you’d wish the finest quality speakers to have. Take a look at its features and judge for yourself.
Features of the product
- This component Speaker system comes with three-position adjustable tweeter level for maximum versatility and quality
- Durability is guaranteed thanks to the Mica-filled polypropylene cone
- Peak power is rated at 200 W per pair/100 W each
- RMS power is rated at 120 W per pair/60 W each
- Affordable in price and sleek in design
Why do we like it?
We placed the JL Audio C2-650 6.5 Inch 2-Way Component Speaker on the second place after testing it out for ourselves and collecting the opinion of thousands of users. Most people only have good things to say about this model, which includes ease of installation and excellent sound production.
Moreover, the manufacturer has added settings that can be tweaked to produce amazing bass. So, if you’re looking for the best speakers for bass, this can even be a worthy choice.
3. Alpine SPR-60C 6.5 Inch Car Audio Component System
Alpine’s reputation precedes every product that they create, and the SPR-60C 6.5 Inch Car Audio Component System isn’t any different. This beautiful model has been strategically priced to be affordable to everyone and quite literally blow your socks off with the quality sound!
Features of the product
- Comes with options for different mounting styles and is easy to install
- Peak is at 660 watts per pair/330 W each side
- RMS is at 220 W per pair/110 W each side
- Has a sensitivity rating of 87 dB
Why do we like it?
Even though the manufacturer recommends using an aftermarket amplifier for the best sound, we found it good enough without one. Still, if you want to test the best speakers, check out the best car amplifier reviews on our website.
The Alpine SPR-60C 6.5 Inch speakers is a coaxial set where all the mechanisms are built into one unit, with the tweeter being in the center of the midrange cone. We like this product because of its amazing sound and pocket-friendly price tag.
We highly recommend you check out this product and its user reviews if you still have doubts about its quality.
4. Rockford Fosgate R165X3 Prime 6.5 Inch 3-Way Coaxial Speaker (Best Seller)
This one is a speakers that’s selling like hot cakes on Amazon.com, and it’s not very difficult to see why. Apart from being the cheapest model on our list, this model by Rockford Fosgate is excellent in its output. Very few things can be as “value for money” as these babies.
- This model consists of vacuum polypropylene cone and the rubber surround for the best setup
- Power handling (RMS) is rated at 45 W RMS, with 90 W being maximum
- Sensitivity rating is at 91 dB with tweeter crossover high pass being at 6 dB
- Apart from the integrated tweeter crossover, this item also comes with mounting Hardware
Why do we like it?
Seriously, what is there to not like about the R165X3 Prime 6.5 Inch 3-Way Coaxial Speaker? This product lives up to its promises and does exactly what you expect from a model that’s priced almost half as of $ 100. It is also easy to set up thanks to the included mounting hardware.
Those who are looking for a quick replacement of the factory models will find this to be one of the best car speakers brand. You can go ahead and buy it anytime you like.
5. JBL GTO638 6.5 Inch 3-Way Speakers
JBL is our final choice among the best car speakers for the money because it is very low-priced and capable of producing incredible sound. Even though people looking for slightly more sophisticated features may find this to be underwhelming, we think it is a worthy purchase.
- Promises to produce home theater quality sound due to the built-in crossover network
- Comes with patented Plus One woofer cone, aided by rubber surround
- Peak power is at 180 W while the power handling (RMS) is clocked at 60 W
- Gives you total control with the adjustable super tweeter and Mylar-titanium tweeter
Why do we like it?
Made by Harman Kardon, the pioneers in the audio industry and best car speakers brand, these 3-Way speakers are also one of the best selling items on Amazon. Not only are these beauties easy to install, but it also has the capacity to produce excellent sound in a variety of setups.
As long as you can squeeze in these speakers inside of your vehicle, good quality music is guaranteed! For the best results, we recommend you buy an aftermarket amplifier. Take a look at the user reviews of these speakers for car by clicking on the link below to know more.
Couldn’t find the right 6.5 inch speakers for your car? Well, check out our complete 6.5 speaker review guide for more information. We’re pretty sure that you are going to find the right model that suits both your tastes and requirements.
CT Sounds Strato 6.5 Inch Component Full Range Speaker Set Review
While CT Sounds may not be most well-known for their sound quality, they surely offer one of the best price to performance ratios in the car audio market. The CT Sounds Strato 6.5 Inch Component Full Range Speaker Set is a fine example of that as it offers great bang for your buck.
This speaker system has a total RMS power output of 150 Watts and a peak power output of 300 Watts. We believe that it is sufficiently loud for all but the most obnoxious music listeners. Moreover, for its price, no other component speaker system is as loud as the CT Sounds Strato 6.5 Inch Component speakers.
When it comes to audio quality, this speaker set will definitely surprise you. Not only is the performance incredible in the mid to high frequency range, but its bass quality is surely among the best in its price range. In case you are looking for something even superior, then CT Sounds have a PRO AUDIO variant of the same speaker system. Needless to say, it is priced a little higher than the standard set of component speakers.
If you are in the market for a high-quality speaker system which offers great value for your money, then you should purchase this product without a second thought. However, if you are new to the car audio game, then we suggest you go for a coaxial speaker system which will be much simpler to install.
- Impressive performance across the entire audio frequency band.
- It offers great value for your money.
- Installation can be quite complex when compared to a standard coaxial speaker system.
5 Best 6×9 Speakers for your money
1. ALPINE SPR-69 6X9″ 2-WAY COAXIAL SPEAKERS 300W PEAK / 100W RMS
Looking for something powerful that doesn’t break the bank? Well, we are all about giving you the most affordable recommendations, which is why this product by Alpine takes the top spot on our list. It’s unlikely that you’ll find 6×9 that offer more VFM than this.
- This model belongs to the Type-R Coaxial product having incredibly high bass response
- Thanks to the new style grill, the speaker gets complete protection alongside beautiful design
- HAMR (high amplitude multi-roll) Santoprene rubber surround-sound provides consistent cone movement
- Peak power handling is at 600 W per pair, 300 W assigned to each
- RMS power handling is at 200 W per pair, 100 W assigned to each
- Has frequency response of 60-29,000 Hz; sensitivity being 90 dB
Why do we like it?
All the technical jargon aside, we love this set of speakers due to its incredibly easy setup and amazing versatility. You can set this baby up inside of your car in no time and blast music for everyone to hear. The price affordable as well, thus ensuring you don’t have to sacrifice on the monthly savings.
People on Amazon love and we’re certain you love these car speakers as well.
2. JBL GTO939 Premium 6 x 9 Inches Co-Axial Speaker – Set of 2
JBL is no stranger to success, and this product from their lineup proves why they are one of the best in the audio industry. This premium grade 6×9 coaxial speaker set is affordably priced for those who want a quick replacement of their factory installed speakers. But wait, there is more.
- You get more bass thanks to carbon-injected Plus One cones that are bigger than others
- Greater heat dissipation and improved power handling gives fatigue free highs
- Dual-level tweeter volume adjustment lets the model play music in top form regardless of its placement
- Each speaker is 3 ohms, having 200 W RMS, and 300 W peak handling
Why do we like it?
The JBL GTO939 Premium 6×9 is undoubtedly one of the best car speakers due to its sheer versatility. With this model, you don’t have to worry about missing out on the sound quality even if the placement is less than perfect.
Additionally, you get tons of customizable audio features that aren’t available in any other product in this range. We highly recommend you check out this product for your next upgrade.
3. PIONEER TS-D6902R 2 WAY 6X9 720W CAR SPEAKERS Four
Want an efficient and affordable pair of speakers for your vehicle? You can put your faith in Pioneer to give exactly what you need. This simple yet elegant pair of speakers speaks volumes through its features, which are remarkably far better than what we had initially expected.
- This is a 360 W pair of Two Way car speakers producing a frequency of 28 Hz to 30 kHz
- The construction is comprised of Dual Layer Basalt and Aramid IMX Cone
- Serious sound integrity thanks to the overall construction and advanced audio mechanism
- Smoother high response due to the built-in crossover
- The trust and brand recognition of Pioneer
Why do we like it?
We think this is a fantastic car speaker system due to its low price and high functionality features. Moreover, the brand name of Pioneer inspires a sense of trust that is just not easy to ignore. You can set this up inside of your car very quickly, without having to make drastic changes.
This is an excellent system for those who don’t want to invest in an expensive model but just want something to keep them entertained.
4. Polk Audio DB691 6-by-9-Inch 3-Way Speakers (Pair, Silver)
While Polk Audio may not be a name that people instantly recognize, it certainly becoming one among the best car speakers brand collections. This model is yet another product of theirs that offers high value for money. With its current price, it’s hard not to fall in love with this model, which is why it is one of the best ever!
- This is a three-way component speaker set, equipped with polymer/mica composite cone
- You get excellent sound quality thanks to the rubber surround construction
- Comes with 1-inch dome tweeter (liquid-cooled composite) made of silk polymer and neodymium magnet
- Maximum power input is 125 W RMS, with efficiency being that 93 dB
Why do we like it?
We strongly feel that this model is not getting its due recognition, which is something we intend to change. You won’t believe how great this speaker set is unless you’ve tried it by yourself, and this is not surprising because the Amazon reviews are outstanding!
From durable and stylish construction to excellent sound along with ease of setup, the Polk Audio DB691 6-by-9-Inch 3-Way Speakers have it all. All you have to do is now buy it before stocks run out.
5. New Kicker 40CS6934 6×9″ 900W 3 Way Car Coaxial Speakers Stereo Audio CS6934
The most expensive product on our list also happens to be the most powerful that you can purchase at an affordable rate. This product by New Kicker may not break new ground, but it certainly improves upon many of the tried and tested aspects of audio engineering.
- Fit this model inside of any vehicle thanks to the reduced depth baskets
- Comes with incredible sound coaxial for quick drop in factory upgrades
- Produces peak power at 450 W, with 900 W per 4 pack
- Produces RMS at 150 W, with 300 W per 4 pack
Why do we like it?
This product has managed to find a way into our list of best speakers for cars because its features are worthy of praise. It not only boasts of having aesthetic design and good sound quality but also promises equally good sound regardless of its placement.
Moreover, the manufacturer says that you can practically install it in any application of your car. This means this is an ideal purchase for someone who doesn’t know much about installing speakers. Check it out on Amazon and see if this is something that catches your fancy.
6×9 speakers are unique in their own right and come with an assortment of exciting features that make them an audiophile’s delight. Couldn’t find the right system here? No problem; for an even more comprehensive list of the best 6×9 speakers and their reviews: Click Here
5 Best car speakers for bass
1. Pioneer TS6900PRO PRO Series 6 x 9 Inches 2-Way 600W MAX 2 Speaker
If you’re looking for some good sound at a reasonable rate, there is no need to look further than the Pioneer TS6900PRO PRO Series as it’s the best in the industry. Primarily recognized for its capability to produce deep bass, this model marks itself as another product by Pioneer that outshines its competitors without taking a toll on customers pockets.
- Stellar build thanks to optimally Blended Pulp Cone Woofer
- Consume 600 W max power to produce excellent base in all ranges
- Made to handle high sensitivity and extreme power handling
- Can be a very good fit in many types of car audio setups
Why do we like it?
Because the brand name Pioneer is close to unrivaled in the car audio industry. However, that’s not the sole reason that makes this model one of the best car speakers for bass. The durable build quality complemented by the special Cone style woofer is something we admire.
Not to mention the excellent versatility and fit along with power controls. If you truly desire a long-term sound system solution for bass, then this model would be your ideal choice. Go ahead and buy it now before stocks run out.
2. Polk Audio DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System
Coming second on our list is yet another fantastic model by Polk Audio, which has played a great role in reinventing best speakers for bass. This one also comes at an affordable price that most won’t think twice about spending. How does it fare in the features department? Well, we’re glad to say it excels almost all of our expectations.
This system provides secure fit in both 6 ½ inch and 6 ¾ inch applications thanks to its Adaptor Rings
- Get detailed highs due to liquid-cooled silk/polymer composite dome tweeters
- Each package comes with a pair of tweeters, woofers, and crossovers
- Marine certified to withstand the toughest environments
- Peak power handling is at 300 W; efficiency is 92 dB
Why do we like it?
How can you not like it when there is so much on offer at such a low price? The DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System is something that promises to suit all your music listening needs with its complete setup and greater system for controls. The peak power handling capacity gives smoother highs as well while maintaining bass.
Customers on Amazon love it as well, with one of the reasons being ease of setup. To avoid installation complications, consider buying this model.
3. New Kenwood KFC-P709PS 6.5″ 560W Car Audio Component Speaker Systems Stereo
Kenwood is a recognized name in the audio industry, and they have quite the number of systems that are being global exposure. While this one might not be anything groundbreaking, the KFC-P709PS 6.5″ 560W Car Audio Component is often talked about for its capacity to produce outstanding bass. However, the features don’t end there.
- This 4-pack speaker system is 80 W rated input power, 160 W per 4-pack
- Comes with injected polypropylene cone with beautiful diamond array pattern that boosts sounds
- The swivel dome tweeter measures at 1 inches while the magnet is made of Ferrite
- Possesses advanced crossover network; has basket made of steel
Why do we like it?
One– for its more than reasonable price tag. Two-for its exceptional speaker power that blows any other similarly priced system out of the ballpark. If you’re a fan of hip-hop or would like to make a better acquaintance with bass tunes, this speaker is something that will make all your dreams come true.
People have tested it inside and rate it positive for ease of fitting as well as the quality of sound produced. This product undoubtedly qualifies to be one among the best speakers for bass.
4. Infinity Reference 6500CX 6-1/2″ (165mm) two-way car audio component loudspeaker system
Coming next on our list is a rather underrated product that very few people know about. This pair of component speakers has the Mojo to satisfy the hunger of bass lovers while not making them go overboard with the budget. It is truly one of those products that you don’t believe how good it is, before trying it out.
- Elegant yet simple design makes this pair quite an eye grabber
- Peaks at 540 Watts per pair/270 W each
- RMS is at 180 W per pair/90 W each
- The Tweeter size is small yet powerful; 1 inch
- Comes with top amount depth 2-1/ 16 inches
Why do we like it?
This set of component speakers produces an incredible amount of bass without losing out on any of its quality. Moreover, the sound can be cranked up to very high levels. If you haven’t used any aftermarket speakers before, this might take you by surprise. The best sound quality, however, comes from installing an amplifier to support this pair.
We believe that this item deserves much more attention that it’s getting right now, which is apparent by its sales figures on Amazon. Support the company by buying it right now!
5. Pioneer 6.5 Inch 3-Way 640 Watt Car Coaxial Stereo Speakers Four | TS-A1676R
Lastly, we’re going to mention another exceptional product from Pioneer to conclude this portion of our review. This is one of the best car speakers for bass because it is super powerful and brings the quality of a renowned company like Pioneer. What makes it stand out from the crowd?
The monstrous 640 Watt three-Way setup that never fails to impress.
- The fabulous three-way design is a head turner for sure
- Maximum power: 160 W per speaker resulting in 640 W per four pack
- RMS power: 25 W per speaker resulting in hundred watts per four pack
- Frequency response is between 32 Hz and 40 kHz
Why do we like it?
This coaxial speaker setup comes from one of the most renowned audio devices manufacturing companies on the planet. The standard 6.5-inch size gives it an incredible amount of leeway to be used in a variety of car audio system setups. From the ease of installation to be a spectacular display of power, this model does everything effortlessly.
The brand value of Pioneer imbues more trust within people, making the TS-A1676R and excellent model to purchase.
As you can probably understand, component speakers tend to rank high on bass output than other varieties of the same size. But to claim that the best component speakers only offer best bass would be an understatement. Feel free to take a glance at our best component speakers guide to know more.
Why do you need aftermarket car speakers?
Just like any other mechanism of a vehicle, its speaker system can also use a bit of periodic tune-up for proper functioning. It’s no surprise that the car’s speaker systems wear out over time and eventually produce low quality, distorted sounds. Sometimes, the default factory car speakers fall below the standard for quality and failed to provide a track’s full range of sounds.
No matter what the case may be, upgrading your car speaker system can only be taken as a good step. If you’re a vehicle owner who appreciates good music and wants to enjoy in its finest clarity, then the speakers available aftermarket are your best choice. After all, we all could do with some new things once in awhile.
But how do you go about choosing the best audio speakers for car, which would also be right for your vehicle and your ears? Well, the market is full of products that cater to a broad variety of customers, each having their distinctive tastes and musical differences.
Relax; you don’t have to look far, we’re going to tell you everything you need to know about the top speakers for your vehicle.
Car Speakers- Classification
There are many different types of speakers that are used in automobiles, trucks, and other automobiles. As an owner, you’ll have the option to choose between a component system and a full range system. But the dilemma doesn’t end there because there are many different shapes, sizes, and designs available among best speakers for car that are designed to produce a certain range of sound as well as fit inside of vehicle openings.
You probably already know that not all speakers will fit inside of your car; neither will all of them produce the same music quality. To make the most out of your music listening experience from new speakers, it’s always a good idea to buy a model of the right size depending on the speaker port present inside your vehicle.
When categorized broadly, speaker systems are of two types: Component and Full range. But what are their unique features? Keep on reading to find out more.
- Component: In a component type speaker system, every unit has its own driver, making multiple drivers dedicated to their unique range of frequencies. Because of the fact that the speakers are placed in different areas of the vehicle, the range of sounds they produce is set to originate from one single area. What purpose does this serve? Well, component speakers are excellent for creating a sound environment of pristine clarity.
- Full range: These are the most common type of speakers that are mostly used in factory-made audio systems. This trait makes them more affordable in addition to being widely available in the market. Full range speakers share a single driver, meaning every frequency has the same place of origin. The negative aspect is that many frequencies get lost in translation, which ultimately results in a lack of clarity and detail.
Now that we know about the two broad categories, this time to find out about the other classifications that make speakers the device they are. And in case if you need help in replacing your car’s audio set, check out this video below.
Types of car speakers
Tweeters are excellent for producing extremely high frequencies, which makes sounds of blaring alto saxophone and other similar sounds rely on it to be played in full detail. Tweeters are speakers that come as small as they can, and form stand-alone units comprised within a component system. They are usually placed in the center of woofers in a full-range setup.
2. Super Tweeters
As the name implies, this variant is better than ordinary tweeters and produce sounds of the highest frequencies they are often used in component systems that utilize crossover units to drive the frequencies directly to the super tweeters. Adding these to your car audio system will be the best way to experience lossless range of highs.
Contrary to a full range speaker system that splits frequencies between woofers and tweeters, a component system makes use of those speakers for the high and low ranges to send everything in between two midrange speakers. These types of best speakers for car are relevant because they produce the kind of detail that tweeters and woofers cannot.
When it comes to sound of base drums, grunge guitars, or other mid to low tone sounds, woofers work better than anything else. In full range speakers, the woofer section can be seen in the bottom layer of the speaker while the tweeter makes for the speaker that’s placed over the center. Woofers are versatile that are experts in producing a specific range of low frequencies.
When it comes to the lowest of low frequencies, subwoofers come to your rescue. These are large speakers that often require their very own enclosure. Moreover, subwoofers require you to purchase the best car amplifier to produce the best of sound. You can tweak a subwoofer to create bass sounds that are heavy hitting than the tracks being played. Big subwoofers of ending the center spot of attention in most vehicle audio competitions.
Size of car speakers
Choosing car speakers don’t end with the type; you must also consider their size to judge the range of sounds they can produce properly. Additionally, considering size is one of the best ways to find the right fit for a particular vehicle. This is particularly the case because some speakers are installed in individual enclosures or panels.
These enclosures can either efficiently use the space available inside of the vehicle or take up every inch of the trunk that is left behind. Even though most speakers are designed in a way to make the most of OEM speaker ports, the size is incredibly important for more reasons than one.
Here are some of the sizes of the best car speakers for the money available in the industry:
How to match best speakers for car to your system?
To find car speakers that are just right for your vehicle, these are the two specifications that you must consider:
This unit measures the amount of sound speaker produces from the power that is applied to it. Low powered car stereos (15 W RMS per channel or less) are the ones that usually come factory installed will benefit the most from speakers with high sensitivity ratings (over 90 dB). If you’ve got a large power system, measuring 16 W RMS or more, usually produced by an external amplifier or aftermarket stereo, choosing speakers with lower sensitivity ratings will be the best decision.
2. Power handling
This unit lets you identify how much power a speaker can effectively handle. For those with a low powered stereo system, your speakers don’t need to be models that can handle the incredible amount of power. However, a system having powerful external amplifiers will need speakers whose power handling quality is close to the amplifier’s output.
It’s important that you remember the key specification of power handling, which is measured in maximum RMS. The ratings of RMS serve as a realistic measure of how much power the speaker will be able to handle on a regular basis, not just for a short while.
Crutchfield has an excellent guide that expands on this section. Click here to check it out.
Which speakers are you going to get?
We scoured the Internet for opinions on the best speakers for your vehicle and tested the products out ourselves to bring you this list. The purpose of this guide is to allow you to purchase these products worry free, without wasting too much time on dozens of other sites offer unreliable information just to make sales.
It really doesn’t matter if your existing car music system is giving out to wear and tear or if it’s simply not according to your musical standards, buying a car speaker system will definitely be of great help. We hope that our guide helped you to understand this mechanism better and you make an informed purchase of the automobile speakers depending on your newfound knowledge.